CateraOwners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CATERA INFO thanks to Elvin

2 posters

Go down

CATERA INFO thanks to Elvin Empty CATERA INFO thanks to Elvin

Post by CateraMV6 3/19/2010, 10:28

I rediscovered the Catera on internet used car sites while car shopping and that jogged my memory. I remember liking the Catera when introduced in 1996 and loving the Steinmetz Concept Car when I saw it in the car magazines, but quickly forgot it. At over $30,000 it was too rich for my blood at the time. Plus Cadillac's stupid Ziggy promotion made a joke of the car before it had a chance to establish itself in the market. Why would anyone buy a car that wasn't even respected by its division? Yes, it had problems but if Cadillac was serious about entering the sport sedan market they should have addressed those issues. They hated this car. Still do. The Catera was forced on them by GM. It was not a homegrown Cadillac project. It's based on the Opel Omega, specifically the Elite and MV6 models. A German sport sedan bred to fly down the Autobahn and to attack twisting alpine roads.

So what does Cadillac do? Add 400 lb. in chassis reinforcements and sound deadening for a “Cadillac feel”, de-tune the engine from 210HP down to 200HP, govern the top speed to 125MPH from 150MPH, and soften the suspension from autobahn firm to boulevard soft. Compared to most American cars the Catera's still a sport sedan in the German mold just not what they get in Europe. To Cadillac's credit, the lessons learned from the Catera experiment led to a better CTS. A true match for the Euro sport sedans. By the way, CTS originally stood for Catera Touring Sedan. They won't admit it today but when the CTS was first proposed, that was its name. Just like STS (Seville Touring Sedan) and DTS (Deville Touring Sedan). But that was before the Catera was labeled a flop by the media.

The Catera is often mentioned along with the Cimarron as one of the worst Cadillacs ever but that's not fair. The Cimarron was a Chevrolet Cavalier, 4 cylinder engine and all, trimmed to look like a Cadillac. They later fitted it with a V6 but made no other substantive changes to improve the car and justify the price they were asking. It was an economy car, poorly built, with none of the excellence buyers expected. The Catera was a bonifide luxury sedan from Opel in Germany. Little changed, other than the engine and suspension tuning, from the Omegas sold there. A few Cadillac badges and some body colored trim turned them into Cateras. Lightyears better than the Cimarrons but once the connection was made nothing, not even the facelift and Sport versions would remove the stink. Not saying the Catera didn't have problems just that she wasn't the fraud that the Cimarron was.

As for those problems, if you want a Catera I say shop carefully. Within days of buying mine, in November 2006 at 48,000 miles, I had to have the Heater Bypass Valve replaced after it puked most of the engine's coolant. I didn't do my homework. Had I known about the Catera's problems I'd have had the dealer inspect and replace it prior to my taking possession. I saw a pretty car at a great price. A German sport sedan in Cadillac trim. Now I know better. I later had the leaking camcover gaskets replaced. The crankcase breather clogged, forcing oil past the gaskets, and onto the exhaust heatshields where it burned and smoked. Two years later the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) failed and left me stranded. I'd still buy a Catera but with more knowledge I wouldn't have felt so taken. The '97 - '98 had the most problems. Some were addressed, but not necessarily cured, in '99. The 2000 - 2001 facelift models are less trouble prone but not perfect. When you find a Catera that looks good on the outside, here's what to look for on the inside.
Have Cadillac check the VIN for the cam-belt tensioner bulletin #02041A. This is critical. If the tensioner seizes the belt will break and the pistons will bend the valves. This service must be done every 4 years/40,000 miles.
Have the Heater Bypass Valve behind the engine inspected for leaks. Better yet have it replaced regardless. It's not expensive as Cadillac parts go and the labor is easy. If left to leak it can damage the DIS ignition pack on the '97-'99s.
Check the engine oil for coolant contamination. It will appear as a cream colored emulsion residue under the oil filler cap and maybe the dipstick. Wipe it off and drive the car at operating temp for 30 minutes. If it doesn't reappear it was probably normal water condensation and boiled off. If it reappears it could be antifreeze. That means the oil cooler is leaking and needs replacement. A laborious but relatively cheap repair if you do it yourself. Improved coolers were introduced in '99.
With the engine running, check the coolant tank for bubbles or an exhaust smell. That's probably a blown head gasket. It's not common but has happened. We suspect worn out coolant is to blame. Acid in the coolant attacks the gaskets.
The cam cover gaskets can leak and drip oil on the exhaust heatshields and create smoke. This is too expensive to leave to Cadillac. Order the gaskets and have a trusted local garage do the work or DIY. Cleaning the crankcase breather relieves the excess crankcase pressure that blows oil past the gaskets.
Check the tire wear front & rear. Cupping or feathered edges indicates the need for a 4 wheel alignment. It could also mean worn/split front suspension arm bushings. OEM replacement bushings are available as well as polyurethane substitutes. New front arms come with the OEM bushings and ball joints installed so that's an option too. Rear suspension bushings from Pontiac GTO, adjustable for caster and toe-in, will fit also.

There are other things like weak door stays, cracked brake switches, and heater control malfunctions. Search the forums for more info. Recently the serpentine belt tensioner pulley seized which broke the belt. Seems both the engine's belt tensioners have that weakness in common. Most irritating are the computer gliches and sensor failures which happen without warning. Given the level of electronics in cars today and the harsh environment they operate in I doubt the Catera is worse than other cars. A failure is never an easy thing to endure but this is the 21st century and electronic controls are here to stay. Thanks to the database, on this and other Catera/Omega sites, information is available and you can go to your chosen service facility armed with knowledge. I mention these things in the interest of honesty but aside from the HBV, CPS, cam cover gaskets, and the serpentine belt I haven't experienced any of the other stuff. My Catera Sport scoots like her tail was on fire and handles like she's on rails. But remember, you're looking at cars that have been out of production for almost 10 years. Lots of wear and tear was possible if the previous owners didn't take care and perform the maintanence properly. Shop wisely.

Sounds bleak doesn't it? Don't misunderstand me. It's not all gloomy. I'm just a "bad news first" type of guy. I love my Catera. Some call the styling dated and bland. Sue me. I like it. It's soft and aerodynamic compared to the new edgy stealth fighter look Cadillac is pushing today, and the "Nipponesque" type styling the Germans have adopted with all sorts of accent lines and weirdness. Just look at the MBs and BMWs. They make me gag. The '97-'99 prefacelift models have a more aerodynamic form with a steeply sloped grille and low profile hood. Their rear treatment features full body width tail lights. The 2000 model year saw facelifted front & rear facias, side mirrors, as well as a restyled interior. The grille was more upright with a slightly raised hood for a more formal look to better match the rest of the Cadillac line. The tail lights converted to separate corner units with LED turn signals. The Catera was never a big seller here so there is nothing in the way of styling upgrades here beyond wheels and some chrome body trim. There is some body stuff from Irmscher, Steinmetz, and others in Europe but it's becoming scarce.

The Catera has a roomy, comfortable cockpit for the driver and I never hear the passengers complain (except for the rare one stuck in the rear middle). I frequently spend 6 hours or more behind the wheel and arrive without stiffness or sore spots. The front power seats are comfortable and supportive with too many adjustments to list (heated too). They're just not bolstered enough to keep my fat butt planted in the fast twisties I relish so I have to brace myself with my knees. Some Cats came with genuine Recaro sport seats but not mine. Some Cats came with heated rear seats as well. The wheel tilts to place my hands in the right position for good control but I wish it telescoped as well. The leather interior's styling is clean without Cadillac's traditional bordello plushness. It's very Teutonic. There were few options as the Catera was well appointed but there was an available sunroof and a power rear window sunshade. The standard stereo was good but better was the Bose system.

And then there's the engine performance. The Catera is overweight (3815 lb.), and compared to her direct competitors, underpowered (200 hp.) so 0 to 60 MPH suffers in comparison (8.5 seconds) but that only counts if you're planning to race her. For normal, and even slightly illegal, street driving she is a joy. In Sport Mode the Catera accelerates quickly so watch the speedometer. You'll be doing 90 MPH before you know it. This engine loves to rev. She's a little thirsty though (17mpg - city/24mpg - highway). She'll drink Regular (86 oct.), but really comes alive on Premium (94 oct.). The ECU adjusts the ignition timing accordingly using knock sensors.

In 1999 the engine received updates like Fly By Wire (FBW) throttle and Multi Ram Induction that carried over until production ended. Multi Ram Induction is a system of flapper valves that manage air flow through the plenum for the best performance. Before 1999 it was called Dual Ram Induction. The new system added more flapper valves to better manage air flow for optimum efficiency. FBW throttle is controlled by the ECU via a Throttle Position Servo so that there is no hard connection to the pedal. Why? Who knows.

Other than the K&N style intakes that add a raspy sound but little performance and a few free flowing mufflers there's not much engine stuff in the USA for an orphan like the Catera. Check for Vauxhall/Opel stuff on British and Euro ebay but remember, the Catera uses a unique ECU so euro performance chips and such won't work. There are owners exploring V8 engine swaps but those are still in the project stage (except for the magnificent 7.0 liter V8 Lingenfelter Catera).

The 4 speed electronic transmission shifts smoothly and has a Sport Mode that lets the engine rev to redline before shifting to squeeze every horse out of it. The transmission also uses some sort of adaptive logic but what that means, I haven't a clue. There's also a Winter Mode that locks out 1st and 2nd gears for better traction from a standing start. It disengages above 30 MPH.

The Catera's brakes are good and compare well with equivalent German sedans but could be even better. There's a simple upgrade. Luckily the GTO and Catera have some common ancestry. The dual piston front calipers & brake hoses from the 2003 - 2004 Pontiac GTO are a direct bolt-on. A big improvement over the Catera's smaller single piston units. Combine them with slotted performance discs and C5 Corvette performance brake pads, and you'll have all the braking power you'll ever need. The rear brake calipers use dual opposed pistons and are even better than the GTO's single piston units. Of course like most cars today the Catera has 4 wheel ABS braking too. What most don't have, and the Catera does, is Traction Control that prevents wheel spin on slippery surfaces by applying the rear brakes to the spinning wheels.

If you prefer an even sportier ride and sharper handling then you need a 2000 - 2001 Catera Sport. Its suspension is stiffer, but not harsh, and tuned for the backroads. There is less body roll than with the standard Catera and the Sport's wider 235/45-17 low profile tires keep the car planted. There was a Catera Sport for 1999 but it was an intermediate step to this one. The '99 Sport had firmer damping and stiffer springs and became the 2000 Catera's base suspension. Even firmer and stiffer components were used for the 2000 - 2001 Sport.

The '99 Sport had unique 16 inch alloy wheels, front Recaro seats, re-contoured rocker panels, and a rear wing. The 2000 - 2001 Sports came with a satin silver grille instead of chrome, unique 5 spoke 17 inch alloy wheels, a rear wing, silver satin interior trim in place of the standard faux wood, and exclusive HID headlights for superior lighting. Magazine road testers at the time praised the Catera Sport and called it comparable to Europe's best.

Even better handling for any year Catera, Sport or otherwise, is available. Suspension upgrades include Eibach lowering springs and Koni, KYB, or Bilstein dampers. GTO springs, front & rear, will fit along with the rear shocks, but not the struts. Suspension tower braces are available from Germany or the UK. Believe it or not Polyurethane bushings for the BMW M5 and Holden Monaro will fit the Catera and greatly improve steering response and handling, besides extending the replacement intervals over the original rubber ones.

As I said before, I love my Catera. The engine performance, the handling, the comfort, the styling, all of it, but don't let me sway you. It all boils down to this: If you're looking for a dependable daily driver, the kind or car whose maintenance you can ignore. A car you can subject to abuse, then the Catera isn't for you. If you want a driver's car that, like a thoroughbred horse, requires some attention .............. Welcome Aboard.
CateraMV6
CateraMV6

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-05-06

https://cateraowners.forumotion.com, Cardomain.com/memberpage/300

Back to top Go down

CATERA INFO thanks to Elvin Empty Re: CATERA INFO thanks to Elvin

Post by yomincarr 3/21/2010, 20:33

Good info, and write up...How did they drop the hp, might there be a way to recover it undoing what they did? Does that scan guage let you do any programming? say for instance to raise the governor back up to 150? just ordered one and it should be coming in the next few days.
yomincarr
yomincarr

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down