CateraOwners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electrical

2 posters

Go down

electrical Empty electrical

Post by gdeskovick 1/8/2013, 22:14

How many volts should altenator gauge show on dash ? Dont know if gauge is right seems like battery has slow drain.

gdeskovick

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

electrical Empty Re: electrical

Post by yomincarr 1/19/2013, 14:23

I have a similar problem, most days it will run at about 13 volts. Thats pretty typical for most cars. Some days it will run in the high 11s. When that happens Ive noticed a large red cable going to the positive terminal gets super hot, as in burning your hand so be careful ive done it. Ive tried to follow the cable and it passes over the top of the pulleys and (im guessing) goes to the starter or alternator. Ive thought of trying to replace the wire but it seems like too much trouble and all the connections are tight. So generally when i get done driving for the day, and notice my charge is a little low, ill feel the wire and disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, if its hot. Its not ideal but sometimes its the only way i can keep from getting a dead battery. ive tried many times hunting the short circuit with a fluke meter but can never find it...hopefully that helps a little.
yomincarr
yomincarr

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down